Sunday, January 29, 2012

Nutella Muffins

This recipe is adapted from The Humming Bird Bakery Cake Days. Great book overall (despite the whole vinegar and bread soda thing here too) but they tend to make way too much icing (I only make about half of what they say. If you are into baking I would thoroughly recommend it. All the recipes from it that I've tried have been great and even if you don't like to follow recipes it's great for inspiration. Amazon have it at a massive discount http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hummingbird-Bakery-Cake-Days-Recipes/dp/0007374798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327878152&sr=8-1

 I would regard them as breakfast rather than dessert muffin they were still really tasty. I made 12.

  • 300g plain flour
  • 120g caster sugar
  • 1tbsp baking powder
  • half tsp bread soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 90g butter melted
  • 160g nutella for the mix and as many tsp as you have muffins for the filling
  • hazelnuts to top
Just beat the mixed dry ingredient with the mixed wet ingredients (except for the nutella and butter) and stir in the nutella. Half fill 12 muffin cases (in a muffing tray obviously) with batter, add a spoonful of nutella and then fill. Sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts. Bake at 170 degrees Celcius for about 30mins (check at 25). Then cool on a rack.

The reason the muffin top is nicer than the bottom is that it can expand freely unlike the bit in the case so I  filled my cases completely (they suggest two thirds) to get a nice big top.

Next time I think I might try adding some frangelico to the mix for extra nuttiness or some chocolate liqueur. Or I might put melted chocolate instead of nutella and some walnut liqueur.

No comments: